What better way to grow neighborhood pride than to plant trees?!
Come join Elmwood residents as we plant 48 trees along the streets of Elmwood in partnership with the Providence Neighborhood Planting Program and the City of Providence’s Division of Forestry. We will be planting trees on the following streets: Niagara, Hamilton, Melrose, Stanwood, Potters, Laura, Mitchell, Congress, Ontario, Lexington, and Atlantic.
Trees provide so many benefits to our neighborhood, our city, and our world. Grab a shovel, put on your gloves and work shoes, bring your friends and family, and lend us a hand. It promises to be a fun time.
Celebrate the completion of the new tool shed in the Garden.
The Steel Yard hosts its annual Iron Pour on Saturday October 21 at 5pm. This theatrical display of the industrial arts attracts over 1,500 people including artists, fabricators, families, and friends to the Steel Yard. For this performance, artists harness the power of our custom-built iron tilt-furnace to pour over 2,500 pounds of luminous, molten iron. People return annually not only for the sparky performance and the numerous steel and iron props that we build in our own studio, but also for the phenomenal local music and food.
Ancestral Memories Quartet Hurricane Relief Benefit Concert featuring yosvany terry & baptiste Trotignon
Saturday, 10/21 at The Theater @ SCC.
Led by the Grammy-nominated saxophonist, composer and educator Yosvany Terry and acclaimed Parisian pianist-composer Baptiste Trotignon, AMQ draws from the blues born of slavery, the sophistication of the salon, and the chants and rhythms of the African diaspora transformed under French colonialism in the Caribbean to forge an exciting new approach to modern jazz composition and performance. AMQ will perform selections from their new CD Ancestral Memories, which was inspired by the music of Martinique, Guadeloupe, Haiti and Cuba. DownBeat Magazine praised the CD as “propulsive and profound.”
“I am thrilled to play with the Ancestral Memories Quartet at Southside Cultural Center of Rhode Island as part of the Benefit Concert for Hurricane Relief. The musical traditions from the Caribbean are at the center of our musical repertoire, and now is the time to give back to the community when they need it the most,” says the Cuban-American musician Terry.
The Benefit Concert for Hurricane Relief is a partnership between the Southside Cultural Center of Rhode Island and Richard Snyder. These Co-Producers are presenting world-class music for a good and urgent cause: 60 percent of the concert proceeds will be donated to the humanitarian aid organization Direct Relief and to the Hurricane Relief Fund of the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), with the remaining 40 percent of proceeds supporting the SCC.
Tickets: General Admission: $20 (Seniors $10, and Students $7 with valid ID). A limited number of VIP Tickets will be available for $75 and will include (1) a guaranteed seat in the front two rows; (2) an invitation to a “Meet and Greet” reception with the Ancestral Memories Quartet prior to the show, which will include catered hors d’oeuvres; and (3) reserved on-site parking. To Purchase Tickets: http://ancestralmemoriesquartet.bpt.me/
Will talk about snow plowing; street sweeping & repairs; empty lots; sidewalks; garbage pick-up & recycling. And will address any concerns that Triangle residents may have.
Sankofa World Market is a weekly celebration of food, culture and community in the West End. It offers affordable, culturally appropriate and locally-produced food and connects customers with West End craftspeople, artists and entrepreneurs. In 2017, the market will be held on Wednesdays starting July 5th through October 25th from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. For the months of July, August and September the market will return to the lawn of Knight Memorial Library. For the four Wednesdays in October, we will pilot an indoor market at a new location in the neighborhood.
Meet with police who report on incidents in the previous month. Talk face to face with the district commander to resolve quality of life issues. Learn about programs to reduce crime from invited guests. Get to know your neighbors and their concerns. Crime Watch window placards are available at each meeting.